Owning a home is a responsibility and a privilege. Even if you have owned a home for decades, you may still need help to handle some of its challenges by focusing on the three “M”s of homeownership: maintenance, minimizing expenses, and managing debt and risk.
While you may recognize that you need an annual physical, financial, and/or vehicle and equipment maintenance visits, you may not realize the value of having an annual homeowner advisory or real estate review. Do not treat the investment in your home with any less care than you treat your car or your HVAC system.
Consider exploring the following points:
- Do you have a current valuation of your home? (I can get you a list of comparable sales in your immediate area, as well as what is currently on the market for sale in your neighborhood.)
- Have you considered reducing your property taxes by comparing your assessed value to the fair market value?
- Even if you have refinanced in the last two years, can you save money and recapture the cost of refinancing in the length of time you plan to remain in your home?
- Have you considered using low-earning cash reserves that are not immediately needed to reduce your mortgage debt?
- Did you keep a record of the improvements you made to your home since you purchased it? If you read my last blog post (Why Keep Track of Home Improvements), you know what items can be included.
- Have you considered avoiding the volatility of the stock market by investing in rental homes in good neighborhoods to increase your yields?
- When was the last time you updated your home inventory of personal belongings? Do you have pictures as well as written documentation?
- Do you need recommendations of repairmen and other service providers?
This service is part of my point of difference as a Realtor ® to provide information to help homeowners not only when they buy and sell but all the years in between too. My goal is to create lifelong relationships with my customers as their “go-to” person whenever they have a real estate question.
My strategy is to provide my customers with reliable, consumer-based information about homeownership regularly through email and social networking. If it benefits you by helping you be a better homeowner, maybe you will consider me your Realtor ®.
I am here to answer your real estate questions.
I am always here to serve your real estate needs. By helping you with the three “M”s of homeownership, I hope to earn your confidence and trust for the next time you move or a friend of yours needs a recommendation.
If you would like to have a list of the market activity in your area or any of the other information previously mentioned, please contact me at (703) 303-4010 or Thierry@ThierryRoche.com. I am happy to provide it along with informative guides regarding the subjects mentioned.
Want Some Insider Information on Fairfax VA homes for sale? Get a FREE Market Snapshot Report of Your Northern Virginia Home’s Value, or Search All Northern Virginia Homes For Sale. Put that data you need at the tips of your fingers!